Saturday, October 8, 2016

Bracelets and Bangles

So much to be said about bracelets, but the truth of the matter is... there isn't enough time in the day for me to write everything down. So I've compacted what I know and what I love down into this page full of bracelets and bangles that I submit for your perusal.


Bracelets have been worn by women and men from before Ancient Egypt was born... there are archaeological excavations that are unearthing jewelry ranging from 3000 BCE. Bracelets happen to be among those pieces...

So what can I tell you that is new? Not much, but I can show some cool designs and share some interesting sites where you can see some of the beautiful ancient jewelry.

Bracelets are made from just about any material that you can lay your hands on, from wood, plastic, fiber/fabric, metal, to stone... there is nothing new under the sun that hasn't been turned into a wearable piece of arm jewelry.

I love making bracelets and cuffs out of vinyl records, those old scratched beyond using or broken records that I've collected over the years. Vinyl is easy to cut, easy to shape, and very sturdy, considering my records ended up broken... after manipulating the material, it seems to gain strength.

Red Bakelite bracelet
In the heyday of Bakelite jewelry, many bracelets of bright colors were made. I have a couple of examples of nice Bakelite, and some nice knockoffs. Acrylic has been a wonderful addition to material for bracelet making as well. Acrylic can be very sturdy and quite fashionable.

Silver twist bangle
metal of course has been used to make bangles and bracelets for eons it seems... the earliest forms of jewelry that survive are made of gold and have survived for thousands of years. Unless it is heated above 1948ºF it will not degrade the same as other metals, so the examples made in gold are still as beautiful as the day they were made. 





beadwork bracelets are a favorite of mine, and many are being made today that are fun to wear, or very fashionable.. even dare I say Chic?  made of glass beads mixed with crystals, semi precious jewels, and sometimes silk... they can be absolutely beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoyed your visit, please leave ma message if you enjoyed this post.